Hey! I just finished this painting for the Zombies In Love show at Gallery Nucleus. I twittered about the process as it went along, but i figured i would post them all here! in case you were interested!
here is what happened! step by step. for ease of looking..
step 1. doodled on zerox paper. (i need to think of a better word than doodle. some day.)
2. Scanned the drawings into the computer and put them all together in Photoshop.
3. Printed it out and taped them together.
this is how loose the drawing was at this point.. loosey goosey.
4. Traced the drawing onto the watercolor paper using a light box and a 6H pencil. this is when the drawing gets a liiiittle tighter. but not too much tighter, since i'll paint lines anyway.
5. Printed out some reference and made a mood wall. i love that one of the family the best. dude's eyes are closed in a radical sort of way. He's taking a happy snooze!
6. Mixed some swatches based on the mood wall. I tried to stay within these colors for the whole piece so the colors didn't get away from me and become a rainbow mess.
7. my painting materials: mug of water, old plate for mixing, 2 brushes (cat's tongue and a fatter one), winsor newton water colors, scratch paper (for testing paints), paper towels.
8. Watercolor wash to lay in some light value over the whole thing. and texture.
9. Started laying in rough colors.
10. After the basic colors are laid in... Mixed my line color! a dark reddish color. I love this part. This is when the drawing gets tight.
11. Laid in the lines..
12. After all the lines were in, went back and pushed the value contrast of everything, so that the elements popped and looked more 3D.
13. Finished! signed my name in the corner. felt super good.
p.s. i'll post the final tomorrow..